Wednesday, July 15, 2009

le Select Bistro


Cocorico!!! You may not know what that means and that's fine but French people (I am part of it and I am not sure if it's a good thing or not) use that Cocorico to say "hey! Look, this is cool and this is french" and I would like to use that little word for le Select Bistro, a typical french brasserie located at 432 Wellington street (at Spadina). I believe it is one of those old places in Toronto but they moved into this new location only a few years back. You will never find it by chance but apparently everybody in town knows about it....
Anyways, le Select Bistro is a nice place for brunches (dinner is also very good but I haven't experienced with a baby yet). You get the french atmosphere (the good side of it!!), french food and a beautiful patio. If you read some of my previous articles, including the post about Sassafraz, you will notice that I am a big fan of croque monsieur and the one at the Le Select Bistro is dellliicciioouuss... It comes with a salad or french fries I believe.
The cold mixed meats platter with ham, pates and french "cornichons" has a real flavour of France...
Dishes are nothing fancy, they are just traditional french dishes that French people like to share between friends when they want to have a good time. The bouillabaisse and choucroute are also good choices depending if you are looking at calories or.... not (but definitely not for brunch)!!
And prices are just right and actually pretty cheap compared to other french restaurants.
And as for the mommy friendly side of it I am not sure as I didn't have to use any baby stuff but I know for sure that the staff is really friendly.
A good address you may want to share with your girlfriends. For more info, you can visit their website at http://www.leselect.com/ but you should note that they are several steps to get down to the washrooms. On the other side, it is located in a tiny quiet street, they have a few free parking spots and lot of space on the patio and the dining room to accomodate your stroller(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment